Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is all the rage in bloggers land right now, but if you’re not so technical (like me) it can be tough to figure out what it exactly is and how to use it. Today, I’m here to explain the details and most important tips to get started.
SEO is a great way to grow your audience organically. So why not?
If you enjoyed this video, please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel!
What is search engine optimization?
Search engine optimization, or SEO, are techniques you can use to help your website to rank higher in search results. Google is of course the most well-known search engine, but YouTube, for example, is also a search engine. Search engines have so-called algorithms to decide where your site ranks. They send out what they call ‘’spiders’’ or ‘’crawls’’ – basically Google’s eyeballs – to check your blog, and they decide how valuable or useless t is. The more valuable your website is, the higher it ranks in Google. Automatically, more people will be finding your website when they search for things!
How can I make my blog rank higher in search results?
There are a couple of different things you can do to make your blog rank higher in search results. All these little techniques add up!
- Buy your own domain & hosting. Google only wants to point at trustworthy websites, and it considers websites that have their own domain more trustworthy.
- Websites with original content. As a blogger you have this down already. Search engines don’t like (and sometimes even penalize) websites that have duplicate content on them. This is more than just writing, I’m also talking about video, photography and even podcasts.
- Do keyword research, Keywords are phrases that people search for on Google. You want to use those keywords in your blog posts so people can find them. I recommend the keyword tool ubersuggest to help you do keyword research.
- Build relevant backlinks. A backlink is a link on another website that links back to your own website. As a blogger, the easiest and most straightforward thing to do is to guest post on other blogs. The more backlinks you have, the more valuable Google thinks your website is. Don’t EVER buy backlinks, this doesn’t work to help you rank higher in search.
- Last but not least, make sure your theme or blogging template is optimized for search engines. They need to be mobile responsive, fast and without unnecessary pop-ups.
Is it worth it?
Yes! Otherwise I wouldn’t make an entire video about this and write a blog post! But it can take a while (a few weeks to a few months) to notice the differences SEO can make. Keep an eye on your analytics, you’ll be able to see how many people are finding your website through search engines, and you’ll see that eventually this number will increase. Be patient, strategic and follow the best practices.